Pages

Posted on: Saturday, October 19, 2013

Toddlers and the "choice dilemma"





Ezra at breakfast: 

" I want my oatmeal in a blue bowl not the red bowl.  I want my blue cup with the straw and not the lid.  I want milk on my oatmeal and I want blueberries not strawberries."  Ahhh!

Annie- (that's me) finally sits down to her own breakfast.

Ezra- "Oh wait, can I have an egg too?"


I love that Ezra eats oatmeal and eggs.  I don't mind that he likes to eat in a blue bowl with a blue cup.  I mean, he's not eating pop tarts and drinking Sunny-D right?  However, breakfast was becoming tiresome, exhausting, and I was definitely feeling like a short order cook.  Not to mention, I would love to actually get to drink that cup of coffee I poured!!

Was I giving my kids too many choices and was I letting them control me? 

  The book Preschool Wise really helped me with this.  

It's a heart issue-Do not be wise in your own eyes- Prov. 3:7.  

If we look at our kids and sense that they think they know what is best, that they have it all figured out, that they are in charge- We have a problem.  However, it's totally okay to have a color preference, to state who they are, what they enjoy, and so on!  It's great for our kids to get to make choices, we just need to make sure they are not "addicted to choice".  We all know adults who are addicted to being in charge, power, the likes and it is not fun to be around them!  


A few practical pointers I learned...

* I am retraining Ezra to say "may I go outside?" instead of "mommy, I'm going outside!"  He has to state it in a question rather than telling me what he is doing.  He also needs to be okay if I say no.

* Usually I put breakfast on the table but sometimes I let Ezra choose.  I can tell if he is being "wise in his own eyes" if he throws a fit when I choose.  Then I know we need to do a little retraining.

* If I ask Ezra to do something, his first response should be "yes mommy" and not "but"!

As a former kid who definitely was "wise in her own eyes", I love that I get to grow in humility and righteousness (right living) as I help my kids do the same! Thank you Jesus for being faithful to continue to guide me and redirect me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg