Pages

Posted on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Developmentally Appropriate Tasks

Disclaimer: This probably isn't the safest but it's how we let our boys help us put up dishes. Ha! 










                                                                                                               













This morning I debated whether I should quickly unload the dishwasher  or have the boys help me.  

I decided to have them help.  

I assigned Jude, my three year old, the job of unloading the silverware and Ezra, my five year old the job of putting all of the plastic items away.  Ezra quickly got busy while Jude just pulled out items in the drawer and proceeded to make a bigger mess.  

As I watched, I realized this was not defiance or laziness.  Jude was overwhelmed and I had given him too big of a job.  He needed me to walk him through where the forks, knives, and spoons went.  We proceeded to do the job together.  He would do one and then I would do one.  We had fun.  He thought it was a game.  

I am glad that I didn't "stick to my guns" and make him do it by himself.  I had assigned to him a task that he was not developmentally ready for and I had not thoroughly trained him in it. 

Fathers (mothers) , do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.  Ephesians 6:4.  



God doesn't leave us and say "figure it out! You are on your own!" 

 My kids are social people just like me and when we work together, work becomes enjoyable. 

 Figure out ways to work alongside your kids without doing the work for them.  This will take your relationship to a deeper level.  

Give yourself freedom to reevaluate and assess how you are parenting while you are in the middle of the actual project.  Talk and discuss what is going on with your kids.  

Let's make our kids feel useful and not frustrated when it comes to tasks!     

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg