Pages

Posted on: Friday, November 29, 2013

Every life begins with a story: Jude's Birth



Jude 

My due date was March 13th.  I was supposed to get induced on Friday morning March 25th if I didn't go into labor.  I was so bummed about this because everyone I knew who had gotten induced said that the pain of pitocin contractions were much harder and stronger than spontaneous labor and I really wanted to give birth naturally.


Dan and I decided to talk to our midwife about getting induced Monday morning instead.  Sunday would have been two weeks late.  On Thursday at our appointment we talked to her about it and she was okay with it.  I was dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced.  They did a non stress test to monitor the baby's heart rate.  It came back that  Jude's heart rate was decreasing right after I would have a contraction.  My contractions were not painful and were really far apart and infrequent.  I was told that I had to go to the hospital right away to get induced.  I didn't feel like it was explained well to me and I was pretty upset, crying upset, and that is a big deal for me!  Dan really encouraged me and we talked about all the things we were thankful for and how God is so good and this could still be a great birth.  And then we prayed that I would go into labor on my own.  Also at the last minute Dan had decided to come to the appointment which if I had been alone would have been really hard.  I felt like God gave me the phrase "strengthen yourself in the Lord" and that was so good to spend some time praying and getting myself back together emotionally.  God was so faithful to encourage me!




By the time I got to the hospital I was feeling more encouraged.  I was able to skip triage and go straight to a birthing suite which was awesome.  By 7 pm, I was still only a 5 with contractions about 4-5 minutes apart.  

My midwife suggested that if it got late to take a benadryl and try to rest through the night because it could be a long labor.  She also offered breaking water or pitocin.  Hard decision because I was not excited for another long labor! No sooner had she left the room that my water broke on it's own!! Praise God big time! Labor sped up after this.  I was able to really get into the relaxation zone and found a great side position to lay in.  God was giving me some awesome pictures and Dan was running me through some great mental imagery stuff we had learned in Bradley Class.  The contractions were getting harder and stronger but slowly so they weren't making me panic or tense up.  

At 9 pm, my midwife decided to check the position of Jude because I was having bad back labor.  He was sunny side up, head down, and needed to be facing back out to come out.  She tried to turn him manually and in the middle of that I had a really bad contraction.  I lost it at that point and definitely bit two of Dan's fingers.  I lost my focus for about six contractions after that and was saying crazy things.  You can ask Dan for details :)   This was transition and definitely the worst part of labor.  

Thankfully, soon after that I felt the urge to push.  She checked and I was only dilated to a 7 but she said I could try pushing.  I had pushed on my hands and knees with Ezra and had researched some other positions because I didn't like not being able to see him come out.  However, I guess that is my "go to" position because I just got back into on the bed this time, ( not in the bath tub :) much more comfy on the knees.  It felt so great to push and was much easier than with Ezra.  Pushing took about 30 minutes and then came Jude!  10:57 pm 8 lb 10 0z

We came to the hospital with three names.  Originally we had decided on Dax, but I just wasn't sure so we had Dax, Jude, and Caleb and decided to wait until after the birth.  We both felt like we had so much to praise God for.  He gave me the desires of my heart totally!  Jude means praise, so we both instantly agreed on it.






No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg