Pages

Posted on: Saturday, December 7, 2013

Structured Time in a Toddler's Day







Blanket time- O how I love you!

Blanket time has become my saving grace when I need to be downstairs getting dinner ready or need to make a phone call.

I have loved doing "room time"  where Ez and Jude each play with certain toys in separate rooms until the timer goes off but I needed something downstairs as well.

I had read about and heard several people mention "blanket time".  I can't believe I waited so long to try it!  It's amazing! It's so simple, but SO GENUIS!

So...drumroll..... blanket time is where you put a blanket out and a few toys and your child must stay on the blanket until the determined time is over.  Like I said, very simple!

Ezra and Jude think it is a blast.  I play fun music and pull out some toys that stay in our closet.  These are usually toys with lots of parts that I don't want to keep on a shelf where they can be taken down on their own.  Ezra plays on the rug while Jude plays on a blanket in the next room.  They do this for 20 minutes and then switch spots.  That's 40 minutes to get dinner ready!  It's a welcome peaceful time after a usually action packed day.

Here are a few more structured ideas for a toddler's day: 

*room time- same ideas as blanket time but (ahem) in a room

*sibling time- this one is fun to do after they have done something individually.  I pick the place and activity and they do something together.  I love hearing Jude ask me when we get to do "sibling time".  Usually sibling time is just playing with Finley on the carpet and trying to make her smile.

*Centers- This idea comes from trying to teach art to kindergarteners.  I set up a "reading center" "art center" and "helping mommy center".  I keep it super simple.  A few books on the kitchen table, play dough on the dining room table, and one kiddo helps me unload the dishwasher.  Then we rotate when the timer goes off.  The iPhone timer is my saving grace!

I by nature am not a super structured person but I have found that a little structure interwoven throughout the day along with lots of free play makes for a much more peaceful fun day!  Giving toddlers direction to their day cuts out many discipline issues, whining, and arguing.

I know there are probably so many other fun ideas out there too!  Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg